Choosing a necklace to wear with your outfit is one of the simplest ways to add drama, elegance, or a touch of style to any look. But what necklace length is right for you?
What is the most popular necklace length?
There really isn’t one most popular necklace length, since different lengths work best for different styles and outfits. Most necklaces range from a choker-style 14 to 16 inches to the longest reaching 22 inches, with sizes two inches between.
Which necklace length is right for me?
Choosing the right necklace length really depends on the neckline of your outfit and where you’d like it to fall on your neck. Read on for descriptions of each necklace length!
- 16″ Necklace: This length will fall closely around the base of your neck like a collar. Depending on the size of your neck, it may act as a collar or more closely resemble a choker.
- 18″ Necklace: This “in-between” size is a common choice for many women, sitting elegantly on the collarbone.
- 20″ Necklace: A longer style, this necklace will fall just below the collarbone.
- 22″ Necklace: Necklaces of this size will fall a few inches below the collarbone.
- 24″ Necklace: Generally the longest size available, particularly in chain lengths, this necklace will fall at or just above the top of the bust.
How do I choose the right necklace length?
Picking out the perfect necklace comes down to evaluating a variety of factors, including:
- The neckline of the outfit
- Face shape
- Body type
- Personal taste
While a longer 22″ necklace might look great with a turtleneck sweater dress, it may not look as elegant with a square or sweetheart neckline. At the same time, someone with a long, thin neck might prefer a choker style, while someone with wider shoulders might do well with a longer style. See below for some examples of how to choose the correct necklace length for your outfit.
- Strapless: For strapless dresses or shirts, a choker-style necklace will work beautifully. Choose something between 14 and 16 inches to best take advantage of this style.
- V-neck: Choose a chain that mimics the shape of your top — usually an 18- or 20-inch with a focal point on the pendant will work best here.
- Low-cut: If you’re showing off a little more décolletage, an 18-inch necklace will showcase the style of your shirt by drawing the eye upward toward the shoulders.
- Turtleneck or high crew: A 24-inch or longer necklace will stand out with a turtleneck or high crew, offering a bolder look and complementing the style of the neckline.
- Halter or off-the-shoulder: We actually recommend forgoing a necklace for this style of shirt or dress, instead letting the neckline speak for itself and pairing with a pair of statement earrings or sparkling studs.
Ready to pick out the perfect necklace? You can shop necklaces of all lengths on ShaneCo.com, or book a virtual or in-store appointment with one of our expert jewelry consultants if you need help picking out the right necklace for you.