Breaking news — Shane Co. has found a winning cinephile to take on the binge-watch job role! Congratulations to Shatakshi Singh for winning $1,000 to binge-watch ’90s rom-coms from “Pretty Woman” to “Sleepless in Seattle.” Based on Shatakshi’s heartfelt submission, she’ll ace this task with flying colors! Check out Shatakshi’s bio and winning submission below.
The Winning Binge-Watcher – Shatakshi Singh
Shatakshi Singh is a woman of color graduate student, specializing in interdisciplinary social sciences at a state school in California. She originally hails from India and moved to the U.S. to pursue higher education. Along with an interest in scholarly activities, she enjoys watching rom-coms as a way of combating stress and escaping the harsh realities of the day. In her free time, she can be found nose-deep in fictional books or flailing to manage a decent run around rocky terrains.
The Winner’s Submission
Tell us why you love romantic comedies.
As a little girl growing up in a heavily patriarchal household in India, I experienced being shuttered away from the opposite sex so completely that for the longest time, I couldn’t develop the faculties to speak to people other than that of my gender. Love was not spoken of in my family. Primarily because it did not exist, my mother was married to my father because her father mandated it, and I was told I would meet the same future as my father directs it. Turning to television became a way of escaping that reality, and all I learned about love I learned from the American movies I saw on TV. I naturally gravitated towards rom-coms due to their idea of happiness, companionship, and overcoming the hurdles to escape my own life, which was spent entirely within the four walls of my household. I incessantly learned what love is and what love could be in that same house and dreamt about finding it in daydreams. I eventually came to it once I moved for my higher education to the U.S. As a result of this, rom-coms have enabled me to imagine and engineer a future that I would have otherwise been bereft of, and they continue to hold a very high place in my life and experiences.
Tell us why we should pick you to binge-watch 10 rom-coms.
As someone who has spent the better part of their lives being told that love is not love unless it is approved, predetermined, and sanctioned by one’s parents, I bring a unique perspective to how rom-coms help preserve an optimism for love and life even in the most trying of circumstances. I come from a country where people get killed for love if it doesn’t conform to societal structures of caste, class, and gender. In such a circumstance, rom-coms have played an almost liberatory role in my life, in setting myself free from the mores of such a society. It enabled me to move to America, to live the kind of life I did not believe could exist beyond the movie, and to, most importantly, dream and be accepting of love when I found it. If it was not for rom-coms, I wouldn’t be able to adjust to this new life, this country, and to the freedom that I always yearned for but never had. I am particularly well-suited to binge-watch the very films that have been so seminal to shaping me as an individual, and in doing so, I could live my life story all over again, reminding myself of how far I have come from where I started.
If you could live out the love story in any movie, which would it be?
I would like to live out the romance between Heath Ledger’s character Patrick and Julia Stiles’ character Kat in the movie “10 Things I Hate About You.” In my mind, it was the purest and healthiest romance on screen in the ’90s. It exposes a vulnerability in both the male and female leads, talks about expectations and disappointments of romance, explores the possibility of seeing people beyond the superficial surface, and demonstrates effectively that romantic relationships can constitute a positive experience with the prospect of change, self-discovery, and catharsis. These are all things that I wish to have in a relationship and represent the highest pinnacle of what love can be. As a result, this is the love story I would like to live out.
The team at Shane Co. loves a good romantic comedy, and the best ones (in our opinion) are from the ’90s. There is just something about a sappy love story that gets us all in our feels.
How does a Friday night snuggled up on your couch with a box of chocolate and a bag of popcorn, watching an old ’90s rom-com sound to you? If this sounds appealing, we want you to apply! Apply to feel all the feels by binge-watching and comparing some of our all-time favorite ’90s rom-coms. We’re enlisting someone to binge-watch 10 movies and compare the love stories, the breakups, and more for $1,000.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a hopeless romantic to watch 10 romantic comedies from the ’90s. In addition to watching the movies, you will be asked to take notes and track specific details in each of the movies.
The ideal applicant will have:
- A true obsession with romantic comedies
- A love for all things cinematic
- The ability and availability to binge-watch 10 movies in a short period of time
Additionally, applicants must be 18 years or older and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO DO
We’ve narrowed the list of ’90s rom-coms to 10 that you’ll be asked to binge-watch over one month’s time:
- Pretty Woman
- 10 Things I Hate About You
- Never Been Kissed
- There’s Something About Mary
- Sleepless in Seattle
- My Best Friend’s Wedding
- You’ve Got Mail
- Runaway Bride
- Notting Hill
You’ll receive a separate worksheet to complete for each movie as you watch. All movies will need to be watched and all worksheets will need to be completed by Monday, December 27, 2021.
WHAT YOU’LL GET
In addition to the $1,000 payment, we’ll provide a $50 Amazon gift card to rent the movies on the list.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the application below and tell us why you’re the perfect person for this job. Applicants’ level of love for rom-coms will be a strong factor for consideration, so don’t hold back! Tell us why you love love so much. The deadline for submissions is Monday, November 22, 2021. We’ll select and notify the winner by Monday, December 6, 2021.
CONTEST TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The rules of the competition and the prize for the winner are as follows:
- The promoter of this competition is Shane Company whose principal office is located at 9790 E Arapahoe Rd, Greenwood Village, CO, 80112.
- Employees of Shane Company or their family members or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Persons must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the laws of the state where they reside, in order to participate.
- Only residents of the United States are eligible to participate.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by entrants will not improve one’s chances of winning.
- The route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are available via www.shaneco.com. Individuals may enter to win by clicking on the participation link on Shane Company’s website. Upon clicking the participation link, entrants will be asked to provide their name and contact information so that Shane Company can notify the winner of the results.
- The closing date for entry will be Monday, November 22, 2021. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- Only one winner will be selected from the entire pool of eligible entries. The selection process will be at the discretion of Shane Company. The winner will be required to complete certain tasks designated by Shane Company. If the winner does not follow through with the tasks required of them, they will not receive the prize of $1,000.
- The winner will be notified by email and/or letter within 15 business days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 2 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Shane Company will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name, image, and video in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current federal and state data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after the closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
- 9790 E Arapahoe Rd, Greenwood Village, CO, 80112
- Shane Company’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Submitted💗💗💗 Pick me! Pick me!!🍿🎥
Their company page has no participation link for this contest. The guy in the chat box told me he doesn’t know what I’m talking about. Is this contest a joke??
Hi Mary, no joke here! If the submission form on the blog isn’t showing up for you, you can fill out the application form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVz3qF8O8zsGdLOgAbkm–o4dslnrXQqTqnbQ1q-NV9LP7BA/viewform. Sorry for the confusion! Our jewelry consultants are not always aware of the contests we’re running 🙂
I went to the website and couldn’t find the participation link. Where can I apply please?
Hey Margo, if the submission form on the blog isn’t showing up for you, you can fill out your application here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeVz3qF8O8zsGdLOgAbkm–o4dslnrXQqTqnbQ1q-NV9LP7BA/viewform