Shane Co. has found a true baseball lover to take on the role of binge-watching some of the greatest baseball movies ever. Congratulations to Jackie Turro on winning the contest! It was clear from her submission just how much America’s pastime means to her and when she aptly asks the question, “how can you not be romantic about baseball?” we knew we had our winner. Check out her bio and winning submission below!
The Winning Binge-Watcher – Jackie Turro
Jackie is a lifelong New York Yankees and New York Jets fan who was born and raised in Vermont. From a young age, baseball became her passion and she never quite outgrew it. She currently resides in Rhode Island with her fiance and their dogs Taco and Half Pint. They’re looking forward to their wedding in September of 2023.
The Winner’s Submission
Tell us why we should pick you to binge-watch baseball movies.
I’m an avid baseball fan – some say I am obsessed. I grew up in the heart of New England as a New York Yankees fan hearing stories of the Yankee legends. As a pre-teen girl in the 90s, I had posters of Mickey Mantle and Lou Gehrig up on my wall right next to Derek Jeter. In college, I wrote a 6-page paper about the beauty of a perfectly executed hit-and-run. I have *very* strong opinions about the DH – more on that later. I keep a book for every game I watch – in person or on TV. It’s a dying art and it pains me that I barely know anyone my age or younger (and I’m 40!) who knows how to keep score anymore. I’d use the $1,000 from winning this contest to design and professionally print a sleek and modern scorebook, in hopes of bringing back the art of keeping a book to young fans.
Baseball has been my passion, my one true love, my entire life – until I met my fiance in 2018. Last May he proposed – with a baseball ring box! Our wedding is slated for September of 2023 at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. How can you NOT be romantic about baseball?
When I’m not watching baseball (MLB, Minor League, or even local youth leagues), I’m watching baseball movies or convincing friends and family to watch one with me. There aren’t many instances in life where a line from a baseball flick isn’t helpful to brighten the mood, bring some brevity to the situation, or tell it like it is. I think I can recite most of “A League of Their Own” word for word.
Once the World Series is over, I can’t think of anything better to do than binging my favorite movies. It will make “stick season” (that’s the depressing time in New England between foliage and the start of winter), a little less dreary. What else is there to do except stare out the window and wait for spring?
If you could be a part of one team from any baseball movie, which would it be and why?
You’re killin’ me smalls! How do I pick just one!? My younger self wanted to desperately start a new professional women’s league so I could be a Rockford Peach, but I’m not sure there is anything more authentic than Minor League or sandlot baseball. The only church I’ll ever believe in is the Church of Baseball, so if I could be on any team, it would be a grown-up version of a kid from The Sandlot who now plays for the Durham Bulls. I can’t think of a finer hitting coach than Annie Savoy (another odd choice of a “hero” for a young girl, but that is a story for another day).
As a utility infielder holding down the 6th spot in the batting order for the Bulls, lollygagging around with my teammates and forcing rain delays when we need a breather. I’d spend my time off the field with Crash Davis, lobbying with Congress for a constitutional amendment to outlaw astroturf and the designated hitter once and for all.
Are you a huge baseball fan? Then we have some good news for you!
At Shane Co., we’re absolute suckers for America’s pastime, which should be no surprise since the major league sport embodies endurance and steady, burning passion — a.k.a the characteristics of grand, everlasting love. In fact, the only thing we like more than baseball itself is movies about baseball. That’s why, since we’re rounding third and heading for home on another MLB season, we’re going to pay one lucky person $1,000 to binge-watch baseball movies just in time for that final playoff push.
Who We’re Looking For
Attention all baseball fanatics, this contest is for you! Our ideal candidate possesses two unique traits: (1) Being the biggest baseball fan in the world, and (2) the ability to binge-watch these 10 baseball movies in no time at all.
What You’ll Need to Do
Baseball films have always held a special place in our hearts, and many of the selected movies tell feel-good stories of America’s favorite pastime. The contest winner will need to watch 10 of the best baseball films ever made and fill out a data form on each of them. All of this will need to be completed by December 5, 2022. The 10 movies they’ll be required to watch are:
- “A League of Their Own”
- “Bull Durham”
- “Field of Dreams”
- “The Bad News Bears”
- “The Natural”
- “The Rookie”
- “The Sandlot”
- “Trouble with the Curve”
What You’ll Get
The winner will receive $1,000 for completing the binge-watch assignment. They will also receive a $50 Amazon gift card that can be used to rent the movies on the list.
How to Enter
To enter the contest, you MUST FILL OUT THE FORM BELOW, where you’ll be asked a few questions on why you should be the one we select to take on this binge-watch task! You must fill out all the required fields, like your name and email, so that we can notify the winner once one has been selected.
Any contestants who do not complete the entry form by following the below link will not have an official entry into the contest.
The deadline for contest entries is November 7, 2022. Contestants will need to submit their applications by that date to be considered. After this date, no further entries to the contest will be permitted.
Contest Terms and Conditions
The rules of the competition and the prize for the winner are as follows:
- The promoter of this competition is Shane Co., whose principal office is located at 9790 E Arapahoe Rd, Greenwood Village, CO, 80112.
- Employees of Shane Co., their family members, or anyone else connected in any way with the competition or helping to set up the competition shall not be permitted to enter the competition.
- Persons must be at least 18 years old, or otherwise have reached the age of majority under the laws of the state where they reside, in order to participate.
- Only residents of the United States are eligible to participate.
- VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- There is NO ENTRY FEE AND NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION. Any purchase or consideration otherwise given by entrants will not improve one’s chances of winning.
- The route to entry for the competition and details of how to enter are available via www.shaneco.com. Individuals may enter to win by filling out the form on Shane Co.’s website. Upon clicking the participation link, entrants will be asked to provide their name and contact information so that Shane Co. can notify the winner of the results.
- The closing date for entry will be November 7, 2022. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- Only one winner will be selected from the entire pool of eligible entries. The selection process will be at the discretion of Shane Co.
- The winner will be notified by email and/or letter within 15 business days of the closing date. If the winner cannot be contacted or does not claim the prize within 2 days of notification, we reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Shane Co. will notify the winner when and where the prize can be collected.
- The winner agrees to the use of his/her name, image, and video in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winner or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current federal and state data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.
- The winner’s name will be available 28 days after the closing date by sending a stamped addressed envelope to the following address:
- 9790 E Arapahoe Rd, Greenwood Village, CO
- Shane Co.’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.